HC Deb 29 October 1979 vol 972 cc411-2W
Mr. Dalyell

asked the Prime Minister which Minister or Ministers are responsible for science policy; and if she will specify their responsibilities in detail.

The Prime Minister

My right hon. and learned Friend the Secretary of State for Education and Science takes the lead on science policy issues arising out of his responsibilities for the research councils, on which he is assisted by my hon. Friend the Member for Sutton and Cheam (Mr. Macfarlane), the universities, and other parts of the education system.

Ministers in charge of other Departments are responsible for policy in connection with research and development within their own areas of concern. In appropriate cases I should play a co-ordinating role myself.

Forward to