§ Mr. Churchill
asked the Secretary of State for Energy what financial incentives are available to persuade industry, local authorities and home owners to invest in energy-saving measures; and if he will consider extending these incentives.
§ Mr. John Moore
The following schemes provide financial incentives, in the form of grants (or, in the case of local authorities, of loan sanctions), to encourage investment in energy-saving measures:
- (1) Incentives to industry:
- (a) Energy conservation scheme
- (b) Energy survey scheme
- (c) Demonstration projects scheme
- (d) Tax allowances for insulation of existing industrial buildings.
- (2) Incentives to local authorities:
- (a) Insulation of public sector housing
- (b) Insulation etc. of schools
- (c) Insulation etc. of non-domestic buildings
- (3) Incentives to home owners:
Homes insulation scheme.
The homes insulation scheme has recently been extended to cover tenants of public sector housing. The energy conservation programme is constantly under review, but we do not have any present plans for further extension of these incentive schemes.