§ Mr. McQuarrie
asked the Minister of Transport what effect the proposed introduction of the tachograph will have on vehicle operators in rural parts of Scotland where the narrow roads and heavy 183W traffic restrict the vehicle speed, causing additional costs to the vehicle owners.
§ Mr. Fowler
The introduction of tachographs will simply alter the method of recording drivers' hours of work and rest, and should not therefore affect the position of vehicle operators.
§ Mr. Iain Mills
asked the Minister of Transport what steps he is now proposing to take following his consultations with the industry on the introduction of the tachograph.
§ Mr. Fowler
I have now completed my consultations with the industry on the draft proposals which were published by my Department on 26 September. I shall very shortly be laying my final proposals before Parliament. These will take account of the views expressed on the consultation draft. In particular, within the two-year period which I have agreed with the European Commission for implementing the judgment of the European Court of Justice in this matter, the phasing programme will be modified as follows:
Class of Vehicles and Date
- Vehicles registered on or after 1 December 1979 1 April 1980
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1979 but before 1 December 1979 1 June 1980
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1978 but before 1 August 1979 1 October 1980.
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1977 but before 1 August 1978 1 January 1981
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1976 but before 1 August 1977 1 March 1981.
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1975 but before 1 August 1976 1 May 1981
- Vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1973 but before 1 August 1975 1 August 1981
- Vehicles first registered before 1 August 1973 31 December 1981