§ Mr. Geraint Howells
asked the Secretary of State for Employment what meetings he has held with bodies representing small firms during the last six weeks; and if he will make a statement.
§ Mr. Jim Lester
[pursuant to his reply 20 November 1979]: My right hon. Friend and I have had many contacts, both formal and informal, with representatives of organisations concerned with the interests of small firms.
Since mid-September those organisations have included:
- Association of British Chambers of Commerce
- Confederation of British Industry
- Engineering Employers' Federation
- Engineering Industries Council
- Liverpool Chamber of Commerce
- Merseyside Local Authorities
- National Federation of Self-Employed
- Tyne and Wear County Council
- Unquoted Companies Group
We are well aware of the contribution which small firms can make to the expansion of employment and have amended and are consulting on proposals for further amendments to departmental legislation with a view to promoting or safeguarding their interests.