HC Deb 25 July 1979 vol 971 cc329-30W
Dr. Glyn

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what steps he will take in the light of the fact that employees resident in houses owned by the county council, when vacating the houses either on the grounds of ill-health or retirement are obliged, in some cases, to go through the legal process of an order for possession before the borough council will provide accommodation under the Housing (Homeless Persons) Act, even though they may have been on the housing list of the district county council; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Stanley

The code of guidance, issued in relation to the Housing (Homeless Persons) Act 1977 suggests that in those cases where it appears that an under that Act from a variety of sources. Only where urban programme loan sanction or grant is sought to support such loans or grants do local authorities need to inform the Department of their intentions. Grants and loans so far committed are as follows:

occupier has no defence against a pos session order, the landlord be asked to produce—or obtain from his solicitor—a letter of intent to seek possession, with suitable documentary backing and an explanation of the grounds on which he is proceeding; and that this letter could then be examined by the appropriate housing authority's solicitor, and if he so advises, the authority should accept the tenant as threatened with homelessness. Local authorities are required to have regard to this code and the procedure which it sets out should avoid the need for court proceedings and would apply in the circumstances my hon. Friend envisages.