HC Deb 18 December 1979 vol 976 cc167-8W
Mr. Marlow

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what is the grant payable to an undergraduate, a postgraduate, and a mature student at university, when the recipient lives at home, and away from home or in a university residence, respectively.

Dr. Boyson

The standard rates of maintenance grant for the academic year 1979–80 for the main categories of award for which my Department is responsible are as follows. Depending on his individual circumstances a student may receive extra payments for such items as attending longer than normal terms, dependants and reimbursement of travelling expenses and if he is over 26 before beginning the course and has worked for three years. The grant may also be reduced on account of his income or that of his parents or spouse. In all cases, tuition and other specified fees are paid.