HC Deb 22 May 1978 vol 950 c446W
Mrs. Dunwoody

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will take action to ensure that councils, such as Cheshire County Council, provide adequate residential sites, as they are required to do, for gipsy families and itinerant dwellers.

Mr. Marks

I would refer my hon. Friend to the answer I gave to my hon. Friend the Member for Thurrock (Dr. McDonald) on 15th May 1978.—[Vol. 950, c. 15–16.].

Mr. McNamara

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what reply he has sent to the administration of Humberside County Council concerning the Government's response to the Cripps Report on accommodation for gipsies.

Mr. Marks

In its reply, the Department has expressed its understanding of the anxiety of many local authorities to hear the Government's response, especially with regard to the report's recommendation that Exchequer grants be paid to cover the capital cost of gipsy site provision, but has added that it is not possible at the moment to say more than that this recommendation is being very seriously considered. There are, however, difficulties about the introduction of new grants in the present situation.