§ Mr. Sproat
asked the Minister of Overseas Development what are the bodies for which her Department is responsible which would fulfil all the criteria for inclusion in "A Directory of Paid Public Apointments Made by Ministers", produced by the Civil Service Department, except for the fact that those appointed are not paid; in respect of which of these bodies expenses are paid; what those expenses amounted to in the last 12 month for which figures are available; and what were all the other main constituent costs.
§ Mrs. Hart
Bodies for which my Department is responsible and to which 467W I make unpaid appointments are as follows:
- Institute of Development Studies (Governing Body).
- Economic and Social Committee for Overseas Research.
- Advisory Committee on the Selection of Low Priced Books for Overseas.
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
- Inter-University Council for Higher Education Overseas.
- Queen Elizabeth House Oxford (Governning Body).
- Technical Education and Training Organisation for Overseas Countries (Board of Governors).
- Trust for the Development of Education Overseas.
- Advisory Committee on Development Education.
- Council on International Development.
- Tropical Products Institute Advisory Committee.
- Trypanosomiasis Panel.
- Overseas Service Pensions Scheme (Advisory Board).
- Overseas Superannuation Scheme (Advisory Board).
- United Kingdom National Commission for UNESCO
- Communications—Advisory Committee;
- Culture—Advisory Committee;
- Education—Advisory Committee;
- Royal Society—UNESCO Committee;
- Social Services—Advisory Committee.
(Expenses are paid in respect of all these bodies except Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford).
The major costs are the out-of-pocket expenses of members, for example when attending meetings, and the direct costs of the meetings themselves. I regret, however, that comprehensive information is not readily available and could not be obtained except at disproportionate cost.