§ Mr. Sproat
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what are the bodies for which his Department is responsible which would fulfil all the criteria for inclusion in "A Directory of Paid Public Appointments Made By Ministers", produced by the Civil Service Department, except for the fact that those appointed are not paid; in respect of which of these bodies expenses are paid; what those expenses amounted to in the last 12 months 532W for which figures are available , and what were all the other main constituent costs.
§ Mr. Deakins
The bodies on the list below contain the great majority of unpaid appointments for which my Department is responsible. Bodies already listed in the Directory of Paid Public Appointments in respect of their paid appointments are included. The list is not entirely up to date or comprehensive because centralised records are not kept at present, and the complete information could be obtained only at disproportionate cost to public funds.
People appointed to these bodies are entitled to claim reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the course of their work for the body concerned. Details of these, and of all the other main constituent costs, could also be obtained only at disproportionate cost.
The list is as follows:
- Advisory Committee on Alcoholism.
- Advisory Committee on Audiological Equipment.
- Advisory Committee on Distinction Awards.
- Advisory Committee on Irradiation of Food.
- Advisory Committee on Research in Artificial Limbs and Orthopaedic Appliances.
- Advisory Committee for Services for Hearing Impaired People.
- Advisory Group on Cardiothoracic Equipment.
- Advisory Group on Orthopaedic Implants.
- Anaesthetic Equipment—Advisory Panel.
- Area Health Authorities.
- Borderline Substances Advisory Committee.
- Briggs Co-ordinating Committee.
- British Pharmacopoeia (including sub-committees).
- Central Committee for the National Blood Transfusion Service.
- Central Manpower Committee (Medical and Dental)
- Child Psychotherapists Grading and Appointments Advisory Committee.
- Consultative Group on Food Matters Within the E.E.C.
- Consumers Consultative Group on Artificial Limbs.
- Council for the Education and Training of Health Visitors.
- Dangerous Pathogens Advisory Group.
- Dental Advisory Committee.
- Dental Rates Study Group.
- Departmental Working Party on Operating Department Assistants Training.
- Disinfection and Sterilisation by Low Temperature Steam and Formaldehyde—Sub-Committee of Medical Supplies Working Party.
- District Nurse Training Panel of Assessors.
- Food Hygience Advisory Council.
- General Nursing Council.
- Health Education Council.
- Health Services Human Growth Hormone Committee.
- Independent Scientific Committee on Smoking.
- Inquiry into the Nursing and Care of the Mentally Handicapped.
- Joint Board of Clinical Nursing Studies.
- Joint Liaison Committee on Hospital Building.
- Laboratory Development Advisory Group.
- London Health Planning Consortium.
- Maternal Mortality Committee.
- Medical Advisory Committee.
- Medical Aspects of Chemicals in Food and the Environment Committee.
- Medical Aspects of Food Policy ,Nutrition) Committee.
- Medical Manpower—Education Liaison Group.
- National Biological Standards Board.
- National Insurance Local Tribunals.
- National Organ Matching Service—Management Committee.
- National Radiological Protection Board.
- National Training Council for the NHS.
- NHS Computer Policy Committee.
- NHS Computer Research and Development Committee.
- NHS National Staff Committee for Accommodation, Catering and Other Support Services Staff.
- NHS National Staff Committee for Administrative and Clerical Staff.
- NHS National Staff Committee for Ambulance Staff.
- NHS National Staff Committee for Nurses and Midwives.
- Organisation and Management of Mental Illness Hospitals—Working Group.
- Postgraduate Training Allowance Advisory Committee.
- Prescription Pricing Authority.
- Public Health Laboratory Services Board.
- Radiological Advisory Committee.
- Radiotherapy Apparatus Safety Measures Advisory Committee.
- Regional Health Authorities.
- Supplementary Benefit Appeal Tribunals.
- Top Grade Psychologists Posts and Appointments Advisory Committee.
- Top Grade Scientist Posts and Appointments and Awarding of Supplementary Allowances Advisory Committee.
- Training Council for Orthotists.
- Training Council for Receptionists in General Practice.
- Transplant Advisory Panel.
- War Pensions Committees.
- Working Group on Back Pain.
- Working Party to Vvaluate and Advise on Diffused Junction Silicone Semi-Conductor Detectors.
- Working Party on Iodine—123.