HC Deb 06 June 1978 vol 951 cc33-4W
Mr. David Mitchell

asked the Secretary of State for Employment how many sorts of businesses for which his Department is responsible are required to have a licence or registration with his Department, and if he has any plans to extend this requirement.

Mr. John Grant,

pursuant to his reply [Official Report, 26th May 1978; Vol. 950, c. 781–2], gave the following information:

The Chairman of the Health and Safety Commission has now informed me that the following sorts of businesses and activities are required under the health and safety legislation indicated to have a licence or registration:

In accordance with Sections 11 and 50 of the Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974, any proposals for the extension of licensing or registration of businesses by the Health and Safety Commission would be made to the Secretary of State by the Commission after consultation with interested Government Departments and bodies. I am informed that licensing is under consideration for certain types of work involving existing sprayed asbestos coatings or asbestos based insulations, and for the importation of acetylene.