HC Deb 04 July 1978 vol 953 cc118-9W
Mr. Nicholas Winterton

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department under what circumstances citizens of Hong Kong are entitled to settle in the United Kingdom.

Mr. John

Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies holding British passports issued by the governor of Hong Kong—unless they are patrial and thus exempt from immigration control altogether—are in general eligible for settlement only in accordance with the published immigration rules governing Commonwealth citizens generally. Under these rules, eligibility for settlement is limited to the spouses and dependent children, and in certain circumstances other close dependent relatives, of people already settled here; to those with United Kingdom ancestry; and to those already here who have spent at least four years in approved employment or in similar circumstances.