HC Deb 16 February 1978 vol 944 c289W
52. Mr. Adley

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if, pursuant to his answer No. W33 to the hon. Member for Christchurch and Lymington on 8th February, he will indicate the nature of premises which are required to ensure that a justice's licence is in force; and what steps are taken to ensure their compliance with the law on the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Mr. John

In general, all premises which are to be used for the retail sale of intoxicating liquor are required to be licensed under the Licensing Act 1964. Certain exceptions are listed in Section 199 of that Act.

Responsibility for ensuring compliance with the law rests with the police, who under Section 186 have a right of entry to licensed premises for the purpose of preventing or detecting the commission of any offence against the Act. Such offences may not only result in criminal proceedings but may also be taken into account by the licensing justices in deciding whether the licence should be renewed.