HC Deb 13 December 1978 vol 960 c211W
Mr. Arthur Lewis

asked the Lord President of the Council what redundancy payment or termination pay is claimable by hon. Members; on what basis is it calculated; and if he will take steps to ensure that hon. Members are treated in the same way as other workers in nationalised industries or the public service when leaving their parliamentary employment through no desire or fault on their part.

Mr. Foot:

Members are entitled to claim a terminal grant equivalent to three months' salary if they lose their seat following a General Election, or if they are displaced due to boundary changes. These arrangements derive from recommendations made in 1971 by the Review Body on Top Salaries, which is currently re-examining this general issue.