HC Deb 01 December 1978 vol 959 c385W
Mr. Farr

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what arrangements are made for inspection and advice by the police of security arrangements at commercial explosives stores; and what charge is made to the owners of such stores for the police time involved.

Mr. Merlyn Rees:

Before the occupier of an explosives store can lawfully keep any explosive other than fireworks, gunpowder and certain safety ammunition, he must be in possession of a police certificate issued in accordance with regulations made under the Explosives Act 1875 and stating that he is a fit person to keep explosives at that store. Before a certificate is issued, and periodically afterwards, the police check that the security arrangements at the store are satisfactory. Similar arrangements under the Emergency Powers (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1953 cover the acquisition and possession of gunpowder. No charge is made for the issue of a certificate, and any charge for police time involved in inspection is a matter for the chief officer concerned.