HC Deb 24 March 1977 vol 928 cc663-4W
Mrs. Chalker

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services in what circumstances (a) local authority social services departments, and (b) social security offices may make grants to cover the purchase or hire of a caravan for limited, or unlimited periods.

Mr. Orme

It would be open to a local authority social services department to make grants for these purposes under the provisions of Section 1 of the Children and Young Persons Act 1963. Whether such grants are made is entirely a matter for local authority discretion in the light of individual circumstances.

In the case of social security offices, supplementary benefit paid to a person whose only accommodation is a caravan would take account of rent, rates or interest charges—but not capital repayments—as for any other type of dwelling.

Forward to