HC Deb 20 June 1977 vol 933 cc386-7W
Mr. Hooley

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science which universities and polytechnics currently provide undergraduate courses in fuel technology; and how many students are pursuing these courses.

Mr. Oakes

Fuel technology or fuel science, where offered, would normally be part of a more broadly-based first degree. However, there are first degree courses in fuel technology at the University of Sheffield; in energy technology at the University of Aston in Birmingham; in fuel and energy engineering and fuel and combustion science at the University of Leeds; and in energy engineering at the University of London (Queen Mary College). Statistics of students taking these individual courses are not available. Reference to the "Compendium of University Entrance Requirements for First Degree Courses in the United Kingdom" published by the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals and the "Directory of First Degree Courses" published by the Committee of Directors of Polytechnics may indicate other courses of interest to my hon. Friend. Both publications are available in the Library.