HC Deb 08 July 1977 vol 934 cc687-8W
Mr. Gordon Wilson

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what residential provision there is, other than hospitals, for stroke patients requiring comprehensive recuperative therapy including reading, writing and arithmetic.

Mr. Moyle,

pursuant to his reply [Official Report, 7th July 1977; Vol. 934, c. 601–2], gave the following information:

Stroke patients no longer in need of intensive medical and nursing care should be discharged to their own home, or where this is not feasible, to a local authority or voluntary residential home. A comprehensive rehabilitation process begun in hospital should continue when the patient is discharged and can be provided in all these settings, as well as in day hospitals and at day centres. My Department is conscious of the recommendations of the Royal College of Physicians Working Group on Strokes which produced a report in 1974. Vocational rehabilitation is the responsibility of my right hon. Friend, the Secretary of State for Employment.