HC Deb 08 July 1977 vol 934 cc697-8W
Mr. Cartwright

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he proposes to discuss with the Greater London Council its decision to cease housing construction in outer London and to concentrate new building on Thamesmead and docklands.

Mr. Freeson

My right hon. Friend had a preliminary meeting with Mr. Cutler to discuss the new council's policies on 10th June. I hope to have a

Position at 30th June 1977
Number of objections† received Number of disputes heard‡ Number of disputes resolved Number of disputes remaining to be heard‡
England County—
Avon 458 40 33 457
Bedfordshire 44 53 53 7
Berkshire 155 4 4 114
Buckinghamshire 67 67 36 94
Cambridgeshire 107 25 12 19
Cheshire 39 16 10 36
Cleveland 272 11 2 9
Cornwall 1,398 266 185 1,623
Cumbria 914 17 16 340
Derbyshire 19 24 19 1
Devon 774 128 71 10,757

further talk about housing matters with the Chairman of the GLC Housing Policy Committee shortly.

Mr. Cartwright

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what ministerial consent is required under the London Government Act 1963 to enable the Greater London Council to transfer its housing stock to the London boroughs or to any other authorities or agencies; and what criteria will govern his granting of such consent.

Mr. Shore

Local authorities may transfer existing housing stock to another authority by mutual agreement. Generally, my consent is required only if the transfer is at less than best price, includes land used for open space or acquired compulsorily, or there are subsidy implications. Transfers can also be effected by an order under the London Government Act 1963; such orders have in the past been made only at the request of both authorities concerned.