HC Deb 26 January 1977 vol 924 cc597-8W
Mr. Brotherton

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department by what authority the Brent Community Relations Council is able to pay public money to support its principal officer while he studies for the Bar.

Mr. John

Community relations councils are voluntary autonomous bodies, but they receive a grant from the Community Relations Commission for the payment of salaries of community relations officers. The conditions attached by the Community Relations Commission to this grant include provision for academic and special leave. I am informed that a proposal on the lines indicated has been considered by the Commission, but that the Commission has decided it could not authorise the use of its grant for this purpose.