HC Deb 18 February 1977 vol 926 cc388-9W
Mrs. Dunwoody

asked the Secretary of State for Prices and Consumer Protection if he is satisfied that the symbol kg/cm2 can easily be found on tyre pressure gauges in normal use in the United Kingdom.

Mr. John Fraser

Most tyre pressure gauges are at present marked in pounds/ square inch, though gauges indicating kg/cm2 also are not uncommon. From 1st January 1980, new equipment should be marked in either the pascal or the bar, both of which units appear in the EEC Units of Measurement Directive but upon which a final choice has not yet been made in this country. Existing equipment will be legally allowed to remain in use.