§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
asked the Secretary of State for Industry whether he will seek to ensure that no more public funds authorised for investment by British Leyland will be directed by that company to meet current expenditure; and whether 942W he will make a statement about future Government financial support for the company.
§ Mr. Kaufman
My right hon Friend hopes that it will not be necessary to decide on the authorisation of further funds for British Leyland until he has considered the revised corporate plan which the company is preparing. In his statement to the House on 25th July he made it clear that the release of the £100 million tranche authorised at that time would be a matter for the National Enterprise Board, subject to the NEB being satisfied that progress in industrial relations reform was being maintained. £50 million of this tranche still remains to be released.