HC Deb 28 October 1976 vol 918 cc324-5W
Mr. Hooley

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department who is responsible for dealing with civil or industrial unrest in offshore installations, or providing assistance if required on board ships within an exclusive economic zone of 200 miles; and what vessels are available for this purpose.

Dr. Summerskill

The police force responsible for the port from which a particular offshore installation operates will respond to incidents aboard that installation requiring police attention. Criminal offences and breaches of discipline which occur on board a United Kingdom ship in or outside territorial waters are subject to United Kingdom law, and the police may provide assistance if requested by the ship's master. The proposed 200-mile exclusive economic zone is unlikely to affect the powers of the police in these matters. To respond to incidents the police may hire vessels or make use of transport facilities provided by operating companies or the Ministry of Defence.