HC Deb 16 November 1976 vol 919 cc487-8W
Mr. Sproat

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services under what circumstances a visitor to the United Kingdom without a work permit can draw unemployment benefit.

Mr. Deakins

In order to receive unemployment benefit in this country, a person must not only satisfy the contribution conditions but must also show that he is available for employment. Whether a person without a work permit is available within the terms of Section 17(1) of the Social Security Act 1975 would be a matter for decision by the independent adjudicating authorities. An EEC national does not need a work permit but he cannot claim national insurance unemployment benefit unless he has been employed here since his arrival.