§ Mr. Moonman
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what was the 127W total expenditure by local authorities on all services in the last five years for which figures are available; what proportion in each year was spent on the personal social services, on domiciliary or day centre services for the young, the physically handicapped, the mentally handicapped, the mentally ill and the elderly, respectively; what proportion was spent on residential care for each of these four groups; and if he will make a statement on his plans for allocation of expen-
1971–72 1972–73 1973–74 1974–75 £ million £ million £ million £ million Total local authority expenditure 4,054 4,167 5,785 7,459 Proportion spent on— Per cent. Per cent. Per cent. Per cent. (a) Personal Social Services 6.0 6.5 6.8 7.7 (b) Domiciliary or day care for the— (i) Elderly 0.30 0.15 0.16 0.20 (ii) Younger physically handicapped 0.38 0.09 0.10 0.10 (iii) Mentally handicapped 0.48 0.28 0.29 0.30 (iv) Mentally ill 0.02 0.02 0.02 (c) Residential care for the— (i) Elderly 1.72 1.41 1.48 1.62 (ii) Younger physically handicapped 0.08 0.09 0.10 (iii) Mentally handicapped 0.18 0.14 0.16 0.18 (iv) Mentally ill 0.03 0.04 0.04
1. The figures are based on revenue expenditure including loan charges.
2. The proportions for 1972–73, 1973–74 and 1974–75 for the client groups exclude the costs of administration, social work staff and certain other services which cannot be apportioned.
3. The proportions on client groups for all years exclude the cost of home helps.
4. Some information for 1971–72 is available only for the elderly and physically handicapped together and the mentally handicapped and the mentally ill together.
5. The information for 1974–75 is provisional.