HC Deb 06 May 1976 vol 910 cc425-6W
Mr. Trotter

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department to what extent non-United Kingdom residents are entitled to enter the United Kingdom in order to receive free medical treatment; whether all these persons are entitled to entry with their families despite having no funds; and whether he will take action, including, if necessary, the introduction of legislation to enable them to be returned to the country from which they came.

Dr. Summerskill

People subject to immigration control who seek temporary admission to the United Kingdom for medical treatment must satisfy the immigration officer that they intend and have the means to pay for it and for their accommodation and maintenance here. Under existing legislation they may be refused entry and removed abroad if the immigration officer is not so satisfied. I understand that those admitted for settlement, mainly dependants of heads of household settled here and United Kingdom passport holders covered by the special voucher scheme, are eligible for medical treatment under the National Health Service in the same way as any other resident.

Forward to