HC Deb 25 March 1976 vol 908 cc245-6W
Mrs. Chalker

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he will instruct the immigration authorities to ensure that before a national of any of the countries of the European Economic Community is permitted to enter Great Britain for the purpose of seeking work they must be satisfied that he has sufficient financial resources to ensure that he can support himself without recourse to supplementary benefit for a period of at least four weeks.

Mr. Alexander W. Lyon

No, since in accordance with our treaty obligations, EEC nationals may move freely between member States to seek employment. But such persons may be required to leave if they fail to find employment within a minimum period of three months or at any time if, having failed to find employment, they fall a charge on public funds. In addition, immigration officers may refuse entry to EEC nationals who have no intention of working in the United Kingdom and are likely to become a charge on public funds.

Forward to