HC Deb 02 March 1976 vol 906 c571W
Mr. Wigley

asked the Secretary of State for Wales under what circumstances grants can be paid to help with the running costs of sports clubs which provide recreation for persons under 18 years of age; and which authorities are responsible for such assistance in Wales.

Mr. Barry Jones

Government assistance for sport and recreation in Wales is channelled through the Sports Council for Wales. No grants are made by the Sports Council towards the running costs of sports clubs but local authorities have powers under Section 4 of the Physical Training and Recreation Act 1937 to assist voluntary organisations in providing or maintaining sports facilities.