§ Mr. Golding
The latest seasonally adjusted percentage rates of unemployment in each of the EEC countries is given below. The rates are not strictly comparable owing to different national concepts and practices in measuring unemployment.490W
Country Month Percentage rate Belgium(1)(5) … June 8.8 Denmark(2)(5) … June 8.8 France(3) … June 5.4 Germany(3)(5) … June 4.4 Ireland(1)(5) … March 13.3 Italy(4)(5) … April 3.8 Luxembourg(3)(6) … April 0.3 Netherlands(3)(5) … May 5.0 United Kingdom(3) … July 5.5
(1) Number of insured unemployed expressed as a percentage of the total number insured under the State unemployed scheme.
(2) Number of registered unemployed insured under trade union schemes expressed as a percentage of the total number insured.
(3) Number of unemployed registered at local employment offices expressed as a percentage of the total number of employees employed and unemployed.
(4) Number unemployed obtained from a labour force survey expressed as a percentage of the civilian labour force.
(5) The seasonally adjusted rate has been estimated using unadjusted data and OECD seasonal factors.
(6) Unadjusted rate; no seasonal factors available.
Labour attache reports; EEC; national publications and the Central Statistical Office, Dublin.