HC Deb 13 February 1976 vol 905 cc413-4W
Mr. Powell

asked the Lord President of the Council whether the Accounting Officer of the House of Commons has authority at his discretion to call for accounts, vouchers etc. in order to verify that the sums claimed by Opposition parties in Parliament have been expended exclusively on the parliamentary business of the respective parties, as provided for in the relevant resolution of the House.

Mr. Edward Short

A Member claiming for assistance on parliamentary business on behalf of an Opposition party is required to certify that the sum claimed has been incurred exclusively in relation to his party's parliamentary business as provided for in the relevant resolution. It is, therefore, not necessary to call for accounts and papers in connection with such claims, but if the Accounting Officer had any reasonable doubt about the validity of any claim he would refer the matter to Mr. Speaker.

Forward to