§ Mr. Richard Wainwright
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what functions, regulated by his Department, are carried out by United Kingdom local authorities; and if he will list the Acts under which these functions are performed.
§ Mr. Gerry Fowler
My Department does not regulate functions carried out by local authorities as such; the functions regulated are those carried out by local authorities in their capacity as local education authorities or museum or library authorities. Nor does it regulate the functions of such authorities in Scotland or Northern Ireland. The enactments under which local education authorities in England, and in England and Wales, respectively, carry out functions regulated by the Department are listed below. If the hon. Member requires more detail I shall be glad to write to him.
Functions relating to schools and children of compulsory school age:
- Education Acts 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1968 and 1968 (No. 2).
- Education (Miscellaneous Provisions) Acts 1948 and 1953.
- London Government Act 1963.
- Education (School Milk) Act 1970.
- Education (Handicapped Children) Act 1970.
- Education (Work Experience) Act 1973.
England and Wales
Functions relating to Further, Higher and Adult Education:
- Education Acts 1944, 1962, 1975.
- Education (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1953.
- Education Act (No. 2) 1968.
Functions relating to Teachers and Teacher Education:
- Education Acts 1944 and 1975.
- Education (No. 2) Act 1968.
- Remuneration of Teachers Act 1965.
- Superannuation Act 1972.
Functions relating to Awards to Students:Education Acts 1962, 1973 and 1975.
Functions relating to Youth and Community Services:
Functions relating to the Arts and to Libraries: