§ Mr. Newton
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science if he will state which teachers' unions or associations are at present represented on the Burnham Committee and which are not; 1110W and what are the criteria for deciding on such representation.
§ Mr. Gerry Fowler
The associations represented on the Teacher Panels of the Burnham Committee are:—
- Association of Agricultural Education Staffs
- Association of Principals of Colleges
- Incorporated Association of Assistant Masters
- Incorporated Association of Assistant Mistresses
- Incorporated Association of Headmasters.
- Incorporated Association of Headmistresses.
- National Association of Head Teachers
- National Association of Schoolmasters/Union of Women Teachers
- National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education
- National Society for Art Education
- National Union of Teachers
The associations not represented on the committees are associations concerned with subject teaching—for example, the Association of Teachers of Domestic Science; the National Association of Teachers of Wales; the Professional Association of Teachers; the Association of Polytechnic Teachers; the Association of Career Teachers; the Headmasters' Conference; the Society of Assistants Teaching in Preparatory Schools; and the National Federation of Continuative Teachers' Associations.
On the last part of the Question I would refer the hon. Member to the Answer given by my hon. Friend the Under-Secretary on 7th May to the Question from the hon. Member for Orpington (Mr. Stanbrook).—[Vol. 910, cc. 489–490.]