HC Deb 26 March 1975 vol 889 c166W
Mr. Stanley

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list the discretionary powers vested in him (a) to provide financial or non-financial assistance in any form to industrial or commercial undertakings, and (b) to permit the physical or material development of such undertakings, indicating in each case the legislation under which those powers may be exercised.

Mr. Crosland

I have general powers to permit development under town and country planning legislation, and powers to assist the statutory undertakings for which my Department is responsible under the Acts which relate to them. In addition, Section 7 of the Local Employment Act 1972 enables me to make grants for the provision of basic services in assisted areas. But an exhaustive list of all the relevant powers conferred on me could not be given without disproportionate cost in staff time.