§ Mr. Madden
asked the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what steps he has taken to publicise the regional rate for 1975–76.
§ Mr. Merlyn Rees
An order made by the Department of Finance striking the regional rate for 1975–76 was laid before Parliament on 23rd January. The following steps have been or will be taken to draw attention to the striking of the regional rate:
(1) the order was placed on sale to the general public at Her Majesty's Stationery Office, Belfast on 17th January 1975 ;
(2) the Department issued an explanatory statement about the striking of the regional rate to the media through the Northern Ireland Government's Press and Information Office on 4th February ;
(3) the Department also wrote to the clerks of all district councils on 10th February giving background information about the striking of the regional rate ;
(4) the Department will advertise details of the regional rate and district rates in local newspapers in the near future ;
(5) an informal and explanatory article will appear in the next issue of the Ulster Commentary ;
(6) in addition, a brief explanatory leaflet will be included with rate demand notices, which are expected to be issued some time in April.