HC Deb 03 March 1975 vol 887 c328W
Mr. Sims

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she will increase the amounts payable to independent practitioners for expenses incurred in connection with health service administration to a figure which covers the loss of earnings which such work involves.

Dr. Owen

Practitioners serving as members of NHS administrative bodies can be paid allowances for loss of remunerative time. The allowances are at rates common to all members—including other professional people—of such bodies and there would be formidable difficulties in providing for special rates for practitioners.

Representations have, however, been made to me by the British Medical Association and the British Dental Association on behalf of medical and dental members of advisory committees, covering both practitioners and consultants, and these will be further considered when normal negtiations are resumed.