§ Mr. Sims
asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he can give, for the most recent financial year for which figures are available, the income and expenditure involved by his Department acting in its capacity as a buying agent for other Government Departments, nationalised industries and other public corporations.
§ Mr. Kaufman
It is estimated that in 1974–75 the supplies division of the Property Services Agency will spend £109 million on its operations, including £86 million on purchases of furniture, equipment and other items for supply to Government Departments and repayment customers. The income will, it is estimated, be £106 million, including £31 million in respect of repayment services to Government Departments other than the Property Services Agency and £16 million in respect of nationalised industries and public corporations, mostly for the Post Office.
§ Mr. Kaufman
Government Departments normally receive furniture and 327W equipment and most other supplies purchased by the Property Services Agency free of charge. A number of Departments receive some supplies on repayment. The charges depend on the extent and nature of the services provided. For just purchasing the charge in 1974–75 is 6½ per cent. of cost for most items—1 per cent. for solid and liquid fuel. There can be further surcharges; in particular a further surcharge of 14 per cent. is made in respect of storable items and of 11½ per cent. where a full furnishing service is provided.
The current list of repayment customers is as follows:
- Government Departments.
- Ministry of Defence.
- Department of Employment.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
- Nationalised Industries and Public Corporations.
- Post Office.
- British Broadcasting Corporation.
- Civil Aviation Authority.
- Central Office of Information.
- Civil Service Department.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Department of Education and Science.
- Customs and Excise.
- Department of Health and Social Security.
- Home Office.
- Inland Revenue.
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland.
- Scottish Development Department.
- Scottish Home and Health Department.
- Department of Trade and Industry.
- Welsh Office.
- Land Registry.
- Ordnance Survey.
- Royal Ordnance Factory Organisation.
- Forestry Commission.
- Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- British Airports Authority.
- National Coal Board.
- Central Electricity Generating Board.
- British Airways.
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority.