HC Deb 18 February 1975 vol 886 cc338-9W
Mr. David Steel

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether she will give details in the Official Report of the procedures that registered chronically sick and disabled persons should adopt in order to get disabled aids fitted in owner-occupied property; and whether she is satisfied that those entitled to such aids are receiving them without undue difficulty.

Mr. Alfred Morris

Any person who is substantially and permanently handicapped may apply to the social services department of his local authority to have such aids fitted; registration is not a prerequisite. If the local authority accepts the need, it has a duty to meet it. Where the aid is a nursing aid which can be provided by the area health authority a person may approach his family doctor. If the hon. Member has any particular cases in mind where undue difficulty has been experienced, I shall be very glad to look into them.