§ Mr. Wigley
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she will list the grants being made during the current financial year to voluntary bodies concerned with the well being of those suffering mental and physical handicap.
§ Dr. Owen
My right hon. Friend has power under Section 64 of the Health Services and Public Health Act 1968 to give grants to voluntary organisations in the health and personal social services field in England if they are (i) providing a service similar to a "relevant" service—that is, a service which my right hon. Friend or a local authority must or may provide, or (ii) promoting or publicing a "relevant" service or a similar one.
It is not possible to separate categories accurately, but on a broad classification the grants she is making under that power in the current financial year include total amounts of £155,250 and £490,124 respectively for bodies concerned with the well-being of those suffering from (i) mental disorder, i.e. including the mentally ill and the mentally handicapped, and (ii) physical handicap.
The total for (i) is made up of grants to the following bodies:
- National Association for Mental Health (Mind) Samaritans
- Institute for Mental Subnormality
- Centre on Environment for the Handicapped
- Elizabeth Fitzroy Trust
- Institute for Research into Mental and Multiple Handicap
- International Voluntary Service.
The total for (ii) is made up of grants to the following bodies:
- British and Foreign Bible Association
- National Library for the Blind
- Northern Regional Association for the Blind
- Royal National Institute for the Blind
- Southern and Western Association for the Blind
- Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
- British Association for the Hard of Hearing
- British Epilepsy Association.
- Handcrafts Advisory Association for the Disabled
- National Association for the Deaf/Blind and Rubella Handicapped
- Prospect Hall
- Royal National Institute for the Deaf
- Winged Fellowship Trust
- Central Council for the Disabled
- Disabled Living Foundation
- Joint Committee on Mobility for the Disabled.