HC Deb 17 December 1975 vol 902 cc666-7W
Mr. Thorpe

asked the Secretary of the State for Social Services why no payment is made to doctors carrying out vasectomies or tubal ligations under the National Health Service; and why no funds have been made available to areas such as Devon, so that family planning advice can be made available under the National Health Service.

Dr. Owen

Sessional payments are made to doctors carrying out vasectomies in family planning clinics for the National Health Service. Rates vary, but those payable in many clinics were set out in my reply to my hon. Friend the Member for Thornaby (Mr. Wrigglesworth) on 27th November.—[Vol. 901, c. 283.]

The agreement on the terms under which hospital doctors may receive fees for providing family planning services, including vasectomies and tubal ligations, which was reached at the end of July this year, involves extra cost to health authorities. Health authorities are expected to contain their expenditure, including that on family planning work at hospitals and clinics, within the funds made available to them. My right hon. Friend is considering what can be done to assist them with this additional expenditure.