HC Deb 05 August 1975 vol 897 cc185-7W
Mr. Carter-Jones

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services whether there are any restrictions on assistance with adaptations under Section 2(1)(e) of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 for disabled occupants of council

The community nurses employed by the St, Helens and Knowsley Area Health Authority are therefore currently receiving mileage allowances on one of the following bases:

(a) Staff transferred from Lancashire County Council or St. Helens County Borough Council on 1st April 1974 who were classified as "essential users" and who retained, on a protected basis, their former local authority allowance system are being paid at the following rates which are applicable from 20th December 1974. (The figures in brackets indicate the comparable rates which were effective in 1972–73):

The General Whitley Council has recently negotiated a "Regular User" allowance which may be applied from 1st April 1975 to staff who, in the opinion of the employing authority, are required necessarily and frequently either by the nature of a substantial proportion of their duties to travel by motor car for the purpose of providing or maintaining essential health services or to travel by motor car an average of not less than 3,500 miles annually in connection with the provision or maintenance of essential health services. Final details of this scheme are still being negotiated in the Whitley Council, but I understand that the St. Helens and Knowsley Area Health Authority considers that most full-time community nurses emloyed by them will be eligible for it. The rates which will be applicable are as follows:

housing; and if she will make a statement.

Mr. Meacher

Section 2(1)(e) requires local authority social services departments to assist disabled people with adaptations to housing where they are satisfied that there is a need for such provision, while Section 3 empowers housing authorities to adapt council housing where there is a disabled tenant. Close working arrangements between social services and housing departments should ensure that the best use is made of resources.

Mr. Carter-Jones

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what representations she has received from the National Fund for Research into Crippling Diseases regarding the implementation of Section 2 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970; and if she will make a statement on her policy towards their proposals.

Mr. Meacher

We received representations from the fund in support of my hon. Friend's Disablement Commissioner Bill and I have had my attention drawn to a particular case which is being looked into.

I am aware that what the fund is seeking is to ensure the maximum possible provision under Section 2. Subject to the limits of the available finance, I share this view.