HC Deb 30 April 1975 vol 891 cc146-7W
Mr. Carter-Jones

asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science what advice he has given regarding adaptations to existing school, college and university premises to render them accessible to and usable by disabled students and teachers; what funds he has made available for this purpose: and if he will make a statement

Mr. Armstrong

General advice on adapting existing buildings to make them accessible to, and usable by. disabled persons is given to authorities in the Department's Circular 13/70 of 17th August 1970. The Department's officers are available to advise on particular projects in the normal way. It is for local education authorities to decide what work to carry out, within the lump sum authorisations made to them under the arrangements for educational building programmes set out in the Department's Circular 13/74 of 31st December 1974, a copy of which is being sent to my hon. Friend. For the universities, the advice given by the University Grants Committee in 1972 is relevant and the funds available for minor works may be used for such adaptations.

Forward to