§ Mr. Ron Lewis
asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what improvements are being effected to vehicles issued by her Department to disabled persons following her publication of the NIRA report; and if she will make a statement listing the improvements.
§ Mr. Alfred Morris
The MIRA test programme, along with other work to secure improvements to the invalid three-wheeler, is part of an on-going programme of developments. The following improvements, not necessarily all in consequence of the results of MIRA tests, have been introduced in recent months:
- 1. Strengthening of the chassis frame and the glass reinforced plastic bodywork.
- 2. Fitting of an engine transmission restraint bracket to improve crash performance.
- 3. Improve positioning of demister/choke/ heater controls.
- 4. Re-positioning and fitting of a better battery.
- 5. Improved positioning and modification of the wiring loom.
- 6. Re-routing of the fuel line.
- 7. Modification of the petrol tank mounting.
- 8. Improvement of the position of the gear change lever.
- 9. Fitting of an improved throttle cable.
- 10. Improvement of the door-operating mechanism.
- 11. Fitting of a collapsible front mudguard.
- 12. Fitting of an improved form of radio interference suppressor.
Further improvements at present in hand include:
- 1. Fitting of sound isulation material to the interior.
- 2. Modification of the rear engine bracket.
- 3. Incorporation of handlebar and tiller crash pads.
- 4. Incorporation of roll-over structural bars.
- 5. Fitting of a drive belt guard.