HC Deb 20 June 1974 vol 875 cc248-9W
Mr. Awdry

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what provisions exist in the county of Wiltshire for the provision of adult special care units for severely handicapped persons over the age of 16 years.

Dr. Owen

There are no adult special care units as such in the county of Wiltshire. An equivalent form of care is provided for up to 10 persons by the health authority at Birdrop day hospital. I understand the county council is currently considering restructuring two of its adult training centres at Trowbridge and Chippenham, to enable them to take some severely mentally handicapped persons whom it would not otherwise be possible to take into the training centres.