HC Deb 29 July 1974 vol 878 cc35-6W
Mrs. Colquhoun

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will seek powers to make it illegal for council housing departments to threaten the children of housing tenants with eviction when they reside with their parents in a council-owned home after marriage be- cause the local authority has no housing to let available for them; and what evidence he has of the extent of such a practice among local authorities.

Mr. Freeson

I have no evidence of the extent of the practice to which my hon. Friend refers, but it is for local authorities to decide, in the light of all the circumstances, what action they need to take to prevent overcrowding of their properties.