HC Deb 08 July 1974 vol 876 cc368-9W
Mr. Onslow

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer what proportion of the workforce in the United Kingdom, excluding Northern Ireland, is currently in the employment of the Civil Service, local government service, and the nationalised industries, respectively.

Dr. Gilbert,

pursuant to his reply [OFFICIAL REPORT, 5th July 1974], gave the following information:

The figures available on a consistent basis relate to the United Kingdom. At June 1972, 3 per cent. of the total working population were employed in the Civil Service, 4 per cent. in local government service and 7 per cent. in nationalised industries. Local government service has been defined as Minimum List Heading 906 of the Standard Industrial Classification (1968). On a wider definition which would also include, for example, teachers and construction workers in direct labour departments, 10 per cent. of the working population were employees of local government authorities.

Forward to