§ LORD CONESFORD
asked Her Majesty's Government:
Whether it is proposed to alter the constitution of the Circuits as a result of the changes in local government boundaries effected by the Local Government Act 1972.
§ THE LORD CHANCELLOR (LORD HAILSHAM OF SAINT MARYLEBONE)
I have provisionally decided that as a result of the changes made to local government boundaries by the Local Government Act 1972, the Circuits shall with effect from April 1, 1974, be reconstituted as follows:
The Midland and Oxford Circuit: Cambridgeshire (part) (1); Derbyshire (2); Hereford and Worcester; Humberside (part) (3); Leicestershire; Lincolnshire; Northamptonshire; Nottinghamshire; Oxfordshire; Salop; Staffordshire; Warwickshire; West Midlands.
- (1) That part of the county which was formerly the county of Huntingdon and Peterborough. Remainder in the South Eastern Circuit.
- (2) The Petty Sessional Division of Glossop and part of the Petty Sessional Division of Chapel-en-le-Frith (the former New Mills and Whaley Bridge Urban District) to commit to centres in the Northern Circuit.
- (3) That part of the county which was formerly in Lincolnshire (including the former County Borough of Grimsby). Remainder in the North Eastern Circuit.
The North Eastern Circuit: Cleveland; Durham; Humberside (part) (1); Northumberland; North Yorkshire; South Yorkshire; Tyne and Wear; West Yorkshire.
(1) The whole county with the exception of that part which was formerly in Lincolnshire and which remains in the Midland and Oxford Circuit.
The Northern Circuit: Cumbria; Greater Manchester; Lancashire; Merseyside.
The South Eastern Circuit: Bedfordshire; Berkshire; Buckinghamshire (1); Cambridgeshire (part) (2); East Sussex; Essex; Greater London; Hertfordshire; Kent; Norfolk; Suffolk; Surrey; West Sussex.
- (1) Class 1, 2 and 3 cases from the Petty Sessional Divisions of Fenny Stratford, Newport Pagnell and Stony Stratford to be committed to Northampton.
- (2) The whole county with the exception of that part which was formerly the county of Huntingdon and Peterborough and which remains in the Midland and Oxford Circuit.
The Wales and Chester Circuit: Cheshire; Clwyd; Dyfed; Gwent; Gwynedd; Mid Glamorgan; Powys; South Glamorgan; West Glamorgan.
The Western Circuit: Avon; Cornwall; Devon; Dorset; Gloucestershire; Hampshire; Isle of Wight; Somerset; Wiltshire.