HC Deb 20 December 1974 vol 883 cc747-8W
Mr. Hall-Davis

asked the Secretary of State for Wales if he will list the powers he has to give financial help to tourism and the tourist industry, the hotel and catering industry, and organisations providing or supporting outdoor and indoor recreation, listing the relevant Acts; and what bodies are in receipt of grant from his Department which are empowered by their articles or terms of reference to give financial help for these activities.

Mr. John Morris

The Development of Tourism Act 1969 provides powers for me to assist tourism through a grant-in-aid to the Wales Tourist Board and enables the board to give financial assistance to selected tourist projects, including hotels and recreational facilities for tourists. The Physical Training and Recreation Act 1937 enables me to assist with the expenses of a local authority or voluntary organisation in providing facilities for physical training and recreation. The Appropriation Acts enable me to grant-aid the Sports Council for Wales, which in turn gives grants to sports clubs and local authorities for the provision of sports facilities.

Forward to