HC Deb 20 December 1974 vol 883 c682W
Mr. Hall-Davis

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the powers he has to give financial help to tourism and the tourist industry, the hotel and catering industry, organisations providing or supporting outdoor and indoor recreation, listing the relevant Acts; and what bodies are in receipt of grant from his Department which are empowered by their articles or terms of reference to give financial help for these activities.

Mr. Alexander W. Lyon

My right hon. Friend has no statutory powers expressly to give help to organisations of this kind. The Local Government Grants (Social Needs) Act 1969 authorises him to pay grant on approved expenditure by local authorities to meet special social need, which may include recreation. In addition, under the Fire Precautions (Loans) Act 1973 he may empower local authorities to make loans.