HC Deb 29 November 1973 vol 865 cc217-8W
Sir G. de Freitas

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he will introduce legislation to enable office accommodation which has been unoccupied for more than one year to be taken over by the local housing authority.

Mr. Rippon

Local authorities already have powers under the Housing Act 1957 to acquire buildings which may be made suitable as houses and, subject to the grant of any necessary planning permission, to convert or alter them for that purpose.