HC Deb 06 November 1973 vol 863 c157W
Sir John Hall

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if he intends to advise the new water authorities to add fluoride to the public water supply.

Sir K. Joseph

Under the National Health Service Reorganisation Act 1973 it will be for each health authority to decide in respect of its own area whether it wishes fluoridation to be introduced. If it does, it will then be for the regional water authority to consider whether it is able to do so. I shall continue to commend fluoridation of water supplies to health authorities as the most effective measure against dental decay.