HC Deb 21 May 1973 vol 857 cc17-8W
Mr. Ashton

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment what is the procedure necessary for ratepayers in Retford to appeal against their new rating valuations; and on what date this expires.

Mr. Graham Page

Any ratepayer who is aggrieved about his new rateable value can make a proposal for its reduction and if agreement is not reached he can appeal to a local valuation court. He should in the first place approach the Inland Revenue valuation officer in his area whose address will be found in the telephone directory.

The proposal can be made at any time during the currency of the valuation lists but if a successful proposal is to affect the rates in a given rate period the proposal must have been made before the end of that rate period.

In a revaluation year as this one, proposals made before 30th September 1973 entitle the ratepayer, subject to certain conditions, to withhold part of any increase in his rate bill until the proposal is settled.